The Best Travel and Handheld Garment Steamers
Some people, when they think of steam, think of giant turbines, majestic trains sweeping along America's endless plains, or titanic cruisers. But wait! There are some clothes steamers that fit snugly into your hand, your closet, and your suitcase.
If you think having a cordless garment steamer sounds like a good idea - you're right! Pop one into your suitcase and have your clothes looking crisp for your big interview or your friend's wedding.
Travel Steamer Buying Guide
When buying a portable clothes steamer, there are a few key factors to consider.
- Heat-up time. If you wake up in a hotel room and realise you've got 4 minutes to get to the train station, you don't want your steamer to take too long to get going. You want it to heat up in less than a minute, ideally, so you can get steaming and get your day going.
- Steam time. Once it's fully heated, how long does the device produce continuous steam? The longer the better, for those occasions you've got more than just a shirt and jacket to unwrinkle.
- Weight. Most hand-held steamers weigh about 1.2lbs, which means using them for 10 minutes won't cause any strain. The better, more powerful steamers can weigh over 3 pounds, so for extended sessions you're going to start feeling the strain. Being heavier isn't a deal-breaker but it's something you should consider.
- Price. You can pick up some models for 20 dollars, while the most expensive go up to $80. Our top pick comes somewhere in the middle - you pay a bit more to get a lot more.
- Wattage. Some units advertise their wattage - they are normally the more powerful models. In theory they should heat up quicker and give blazingly powerful steam that will make short work of wrinkles.
- Our rating. Combining the factors below with our expertise, the device's design, accessories, and longevity allows us to come up with a hyper-accurate product rating. This rating is accurate to the nano-decimal. The six steamers listed in the following table are all worth your money. Below that are all the travel steamer reviews we've written - you might find one not in the top 6 that meets your needs.
So what is the best travel steamer for you? Take a look at this comparison table, which shows the hand-held clothes steamers that we recommend without hesitation.